In-flight Wi-Fi - Ready for Takeoff?
Update on the promise of in-flight connectivity. Will on-board Wi-Fi access really become the norm?
A market that's really taking off
Different levels of service between North America and Europe
Europe, however, is intent on catching up in to offer travellers the same connectivity possibilities during their trip. The European Aviation Network (EAN), a satellite specialist set up by Deutsche Telekom and Inmarsat, uses both satellites and ground-based towers, mostly the latter, located throughout Europe (350 in 28 countries of the European Union, Switzerland and Norway, 50 of which just for France) to provide a competitive connection speed. The first customer to benefit from this less costly technology is the British aviation group IAG (British Airways and Iberia).
Air France's Connect Service
- a free Message pass that allows passengers to send messages via messaging applications (WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger, iMessage and WeChat) on their smartphone;
- a Surf pass that provides internet access for sending and receiving emails (from €3 to €8 for one hour, or €18 for the duration of a flight); and
- a Stream pass for high-speed connection, for €30 or 10,000 miles.
Asia is also looking to conquer Wi-Fi
Data security - caution danger
This may also interest you.
A key element of business travel is the actual journey, and companies are in stiff competition with one another to come up with the best solution. Here, we report on what worked best.
In our increasingly connected world, it is important to make sure that your data is protected on business trips. Read on for our tips!
Check out our business travel offers
- ACCOR BUSINESS OFFER Receive your negotiated rates by booking in your preferred hotels from our network of over 3,500 worldwide!
- BUSINESS PLUS MULTI-BRAND CARD This flexible offer is tailored to individual travellers as well as companies and offers up to 20% discount on hotel nights worldwide.
- CORPORATE CONTRACTS Customised contracts! Select your preferred destinations and hotels and we will offer you an annual contract with specially negotiated terms and rates.